11/21/10

Please forgive me...

I know my new baby is 3.5 weeks old, and I haven't posted anything about her yet, but in my defense, this whole "having a newborn" thing is taking up WAY more time than I thought it would!! ;) I've also been told that some people have been worried, and I truly appreciate the concern. This is going to take a few posts to get through everything, but I'll start with the birth announcement:

Amelia Claire is here!

This is copied from a board I visit, so excuse any present tense. ;)
Short version: I finally got in a room about 8:30 Wednesday night, and they started the Cervidil, after about an hour, contractions were painful and hard, so they removed it and gave me Staydol. I labored like that until about 7ish when they started pitocin (still a 2), then at 9 they broke my water (4-5 by then.) At 10 they checked me and I was a six and asking for the epidural. They got it in about 10:45 (still a 6 when they started it), laid me down, and I started pushing. She was here at 11:02 am. It happened so fast that my doctor wasn't able to deliver her, and his partner had to instead. She weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, is 20 1/4 inches long, and has a head full of hair, just like Cadence.

Long version: After my appointment Wednesday, they told me to be back at the hospital at 6 pm to start Cervidil. They were swamped, so it was about 8:30 before I was in my room. Around 9:30 they started the cervidil, and by 10:15 the contractions were really strong and I had dilated enough to remove it and get Staydol. I called my mom to come stay with me, and she arrived about 11. When she arrived, I was at 2, and they let me labor on my own all night (and Staydol is my friend!) Around 7 the next morning, they came to give me an enema and started pitocin, and I was still a 2. At nine my doctor came in to break my water, and I was a 4-5 by that time. They told me they would check me again at 11, but by 10ish I was hurting and asked for the epidural. They checked me before the epidural (about 10:30) and I was a 6. By 10:45 when they laid me down after the epidural, she was coming and coming fast. I had to wait through two contractions before they would let me push, because my doctor wasn't there yet and they didn't have anything ready. I think I pushed through 3 or 4 contractions, and she arrived at 11:02. My doctor wasn't able to make it since it happened so fast, and his partner (who I met for the first time when she walked in) delivered 3 other babies besides Amelia during an hours time.

She looked great, and weighed in at 6 lbs, 14 oz. She's 20 1/4 inches long, and has the longest feet and biggest hands I've ever seen. We are all completely infatuated, and she's a good nurser so far - when she actually nurses. She's still really sleepy, so she has spent most of her time as a baby burrito and asleep. She's a great baby, and I hope to get her home today!

And what I know you're here for - pictures!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: