- All of the handouts, billboard, flyers, product packaging, magazines, banners, and newspapers you see? Me, or someone like me, had a very important role in that getting produced.
- My job is more that just "making things pretty."
- I have 4+ years of higher education, and two degrees. I didn't just wake up one day and decide I wanted to do this. I actually did go to school for it and had to take classes to learn how to do my job correctly.
- I AM a professional. So when you see something I've created for you and comment "That looks so professional!!" it's insulting. Very insulting.
- On that note, when you tell me that I need to just run to a chain store and buy pre-printed and pre-designed papers to use instead of doing what you've hired me to do, that's also very insulting.
- If you want something designed, and change your mind 45 million times, and I keep having to redo it for you, don't get mad at me when we're stressing about making the deadline or have passed the intended deadline. I can't snap my fingers and make the work be completed. It actually does take a little time.
- I have close to $1500 worth of programs on my computer that were
made to do graphic design work. These are wonderful programs, but are
expensive and took years for me to learn to use.
- I don't use Microsoft Word, Excel or Powerpoint unless it's for a simple letter, spreadsheet or powerpoint presentation. And most of the time, I have an Adobe program that will do any of those tasks faster and more accurately. So PLEASE don't come ask me to design something for you in Powerpoint or Word. I will laugh at you.
- And on that note, if you bring me something you designed yourself in Word, chances are I'm going to have to redo it in the programs I use to make it print correctly. It's nothing personal if I do, I just want to make sure it "looks professional."
- I mainly deal with designing print pieces. I don't know much about websites (even though there are lots of us that do), and please don't ask me to do any marketing or copy editing. I CAN, but I can't promise it will be great.
Just to clear things up...
I am a graphic designer