8/21/08

So, I met the Stepford Moms...

Today was the day that we got to meet Wee One's preschool teacher. Since I work at the church we came in the back way and we ended up arriving late. Thankfully I already knew most of what the Preschool director was saying (I've only seen her multiple times a day for the last month), so we weren't that out of the loop. Wee One went with us instead of going tomorrow, and turned out to be one of only about 5 kids there. She had fun, though, and LOVED meeting her teacher. I think I'm really going to like her teachers, but I'm not quite so sure about the moms of the other children.

First, let's remember what side of town I work in. I see people arrive to work in cute little Lexus sports cars, and beautiful Jags and some of the nicest SUVs I've ever seen. There are a lot of people that work there that don't, but the majority of the church members do.

Next, let's remember what kind of preschool this is. Most of the kids that go here will go on to go to one of the two really nice, really expensive private schools in town. The ones that don't go to one of those will either be homeschooled or go to one of the three really-expensive-but-not-extremely-outrageous private schools in the area. Most of these moms are stay-at-home-moms (sahm for short) and their life REVOLVES around what great and wonderful and awesome thing their child is currently doing. Now, I'm not bashing sahms at all! I would love to be one in the future. These are just the ones that don't live in the same place I do - you know, that place called R-E-A-L-I-T-Y.

Last, let's remember what kind of person I am. I have little-to-no money in the bank. My daughter is in preschool because I only have to pay half tuition. And thankfully the directors are nice enough to let me wait on some of the fees because I just. don't. have. them. I work a full time job, I do freelance work on the side, and while I want my daughter to be happy and have experiences, I'm not going to spend money I don't have in order to keep up appearances.

So, today I got my first taste of Life with the Stepford Moms. No one in particular said anything, but there was just this air about the room. Then one mom started in on how Little Tommy was about to start his 2nd year of tennis lessons - at 3.5. Then the teacher started telling us about "Happy Snacks" and how she needed someone to volunteer to be the Happy Snack mom and the Transportation Mom and the Class Party Mom. I might work at the church, but I really don't have time to add one more thing to my list. I'll be glad to help someone else out, but there's no way I'm volunteering myself to call all the Stepford Moms and make sure they get their baked goods to class on the right day. I'm just not doing it. But some of those moms? Estatic. Overjoyed. Almost fighting over the sign-up list. Then there was one mom that talked about how since this was her 3rd (or 4th or something) time to go through this (and she has a younger child that just started, too) she actually has a folder with items cut out already, and is already planning what her son will bring for show and tell. I sat there with my mouth wide open in shock. I mean, I love and adore my daughter, and I'm thrilled that she's getting to go to preschool. But honestly. Preschool at this church in Mississippi isn't the end all be all. It's just not! There really is more to life than having your child in preschool then doing art classes, ballet/tap classes and tennis lessons after school. Seriously. There is!

There were two other ladies in there that looked as shocked as me, and I have a feeling they're the ones I'm going to be hanging out with during field trips and class parties. One looked to be about my age (all the others were a good 8-10 years older than me), and the other lady was Indian and looked just as lost as I felt. This should turn out to be a very interesting year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you see past the riches and look at whats important in a childs life. Money cannnot and will not ever be able to replace love, joy and peace. Keep looking unto God. He is the arthur of our faith and He always direct our paths. Be a woman that is there to make a difference in the lives of the Stepford Moms.