9/26/09

Things I learned during my first 5K...

  1. Running 3 miles with other people is MUCH harder than running 3 miles at the park across the street. Especially when that 3 miles includes the hills by LeFleurs Bluff.
  2. It's different when you don't have the option to go home at every half mile lap.
  3. "Don't try to keep up with the Jones'" also applies to running. If you normally run 13 minute miles on a good day, don't try to keep up with guy that finished the 5K in 17 minutes. It's not going to turn out well - for you, at least.
  4. The people that stand on the sides and cheer are saints and deserve medals. And to the guy that gave me the pep talk and high five as I turned back on to Lakeland, thank you! I'm not sure you realize how much I needed that!
  5. Power walkers are FAST! I won't comment on how many passed me!
  6. Runners are amazing people. The comments and encouragement I received from those that had already finished as I came in (and almost last, at that) was unbelievable.

I ended with a time of 40:38, and somewhere around 40 was my goal. It was definitely a sobering experience, but I'm so glad I did it!

No comments: