9/16/11

So alike, yet so different

So, my sister got some very exciting news this past week. She made Senate at Southern, and she's also now a Delta Gamma girl.

Now, the Senate thing is totally like me. I was student body president, cheerleading captain, senior class treasurer, member of every (mainly academic) club on campus in high school. I didn't do a ton in college, but it was mainly because I was engaged and about to get married. But I can totally see myself having done something like senate.

However, Delta Gamma is completely foreign to me. I'm not social, until I really get to know someone. I'm much much happier sitting at home in front of the tv, or reading a book, or on the computer that I am around other people, especially large groups of girls. Girls that are way prettier. And more popular. And had way more friends and boyfriends. See? I'm 31, and the thought of being in the same 100 yard radius of *those* girls from high school and college makes me sweaty and nervous and makes me want to go hide with a good book.

Cecily, though? It's unbelievable. I looked through her facebook wall, and there were SO many people posting pictures of her and congratulating her and telling her how awesome it was that she was now in DG.  As I'm looking through it, I was amazed and in awe. I don't even have that many friends, much less that many that would take pictures of me (and not me in a group - just me!) and post and comment. It was just unbelievable. And I see my daughter being the same way.

Photobucket

I'm so proud of the awesome and amazing woman she's becoming, and can't wait to see what she does as she gets older. And it gives me hope. Hope that Cadence will, one day, be just as awesome and amazing. Hope that even though I don't understand her at all most of the time (kinda like Momma and Cecily), it doesn't mean that she's not listening and learning, and making my teaching uniquely hers. Hope that her future is going to be amazing. And I honestly can't wait.

I love you, Cecily, and am so proud of you.
Photobucket

______________________________
Things I'm thankful for:
1) Both of my sisters
2) My awesome, outgoing daughter
3) That Cecily is having the time of her life
4) That we can be so different, yet still love each other so much
5) My family

No comments: