5/30/10

Book 4/25: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I made the comment to the girl I work with last week that I had finished my book and needed something else to read, and she brought me The Help by Kathryn Stockett on Tuesday. Oh, WOW! I started it Tuesday night when I got home, and returned it to her on Thursday morning. It was absolutely wonderful.

Short synopsis: Set in Jackson, MS in the early 60’s, and the main girl has just returned home from college (Ole Miss, of course!) and all her friends are married and starting families while she isn’t. Through a series of events, she decides to write a book about “the help” - the black maids, cooks and nannies - from their point of view, and wants to tell the good, the bad and the ugly.

There are parts that are absolutely hilarious, and parts that had me in tears, and I felt like I actually knew all these people. I’m sure some of it is because I live/work in Jackson, and have been in MS all my life, but I know that a lot of it is because of WHERE I work. The church I work at is filled with families that this book could have been written about. I’ve been able to see the Ole Miss love, the high society living and the Country Club/Junior Leage lifestyle up close and personal - especially in some of the older ladies that go to this church. It was a wonderful story, and hit, maybe, a little too close to home - especially for some of the older families in the city. However, I loved it.

I plan on buying it so I can let my mom and aunt read it, and I’m very excited they are making it into a movie. I also want to read it again, and actually enjoy it this time instead of being worried for a lot of the characters in it. I really enjoyed it, and give it 5 books.

Photobucket

Up next, Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I promised my sister I would...

No comments: