5/3/10

End of year parent/teacher conference

I had a conference with her teacher this morning (annual parent/teacher conference) and it was definitely different than the last one we had before Christmas. Today, she told me that Cadence is doing excellent, and she’s a totally different child than she was at the beginning of the year. She said that there have been very few instances where she’s seen that same girl that started the year, and when she shows up, all she has to do is say something and Cadence is able to calm herself down. She said she’s been a joy to have, she’s doing great in class, and that I shouldn’t be worried at all about next year. We both agree that it’s good she’s going through Kindergarten again - not because of academics, she’s fine there - but because of her social skills. We both know that it will be good for her to be one of the oldest in the class instead of by far the youngest. I’m actually getting excited about next year, and I’m not worried like I was a few months ago.

I also talked to her reading teacher again this morning, and she agrees that Cadence wasn’t ready for “big school” at the beginning of the year, but definitely is now. She also said that she has a feeling her teachers next year are going to think she walks on water and love her, and I commented that I’m not sure that would be a good thing! I just hope that her teacher will push and encourage her, and that she’ll be able to blossom next year.

Those conversations were such a great start to the day, and it makes me feel good to know that she’s starting to grow up some, and that people enjoy being around her.

_______________________
Things I’m thankful for:
1) Wonderful teachers
2) A wonderful school that was ok with working with us to help her
3) My spunky, energetic 5 year old
4) The new baby on the way
5) A wonderful ending to the year

No comments: